     Just spotted on the selection shelves here at NYPL

     Ten geographic ideas that changed the world. Susan Hanson, editor. New
     Brunswick, Rutgers University Press, oops, think it was 1996.

     isbn  o 8135-2356-7 hardback; 0-8135-2357-5 paper  $55hardback
     listprice

     It is a published version of papers given at a recent AAG conference.

     The first two essays in the book are the following:

     1. The idea of the map, by Anne Godlewska

     2. The weather map: exploiting electronic telecommunications to
     forecast the geography of the atmosphere, by Mark Monmonier.

     There are several other essays, gee, probably 8 of them..., one on
     GIS, one on central place theory, etc.

     I found Anne Godlewska's essay a well written [of course!] survey on
     the map as cultural/social artifact --a very accessible piece for
     those new to maps, and a useful item for sending the oldline mapperson
     into reveries of cartothink. Can you tell I am tired and its been a
     long day? Anyway, these two map items might get lost in this
     "geography" text, so wanted maplisters to know about them.

     Alice Hudson
     Map Division, NYPL