----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Just spotted on the selection shelves here at NYPL Ten geographic ideas that changed the world. Susan Hanson, editor. New Brunswick, Rutgers University Press, oops, think it was 1996. isbn o 8135-2356-7 hardback; 0-8135-2357-5 paper $55hardback listprice It is a published version of papers given at a recent AAG conference. The first two essays in the book are the following: 1. The idea of the map, by Anne Godlewska 2. The weather map: exploiting electronic telecommunications to forecast the geography of the atmosphere, by Mark Monmonier. There are several other essays, gee, probably 8 of them..., one on GIS, one on central place theory, etc. I found Anne Godlewska's essay a well written [of course!] survey on the map as cultural/social artifact --a very accessible piece for those new to maps, and a useful item for sending the oldline mapperson into reveries of cartothink. Can you tell I am tired and its been a long day? Anyway, these two map items might get lost in this "geography" text, so wanted maplisters to know about them. Alice Hudson Map Division, NYPL