----------------------------Original message---------------------------- April Carlucci <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > I agree that Geocenter Internationale Landkartenhaus GmbH in > Stuttgart probably has the world's largest catalog and/or stock of > maps, but would caution that dealing with them is difficult due to > language problems, invoicing methods and currency conversion, and > the fact that often materials in their catalog are out of stock. > I'd suggest you try American sources first, namely Omni Resources > in North Carolina and Maplink in Santa Barbara, both of which have > large catalogs. You might also try checking in Parry and Perkins' > World Mapping Today, although a little dated now, to see if what > you need exists and who produces maps in the countries involved. A couple of comments. Firstly regarding Geocenter, we deal with them fairly regularly and they certainly have an excellent stock. We do have occassional problems with them, but many less over the last few years -- their ability to deal in English seems to have greatly improved. Secondly, another good source of information on topographic mapping of various countries is _Inventory of World Topographic Mapping_ published in three volumes by the International Cartographic Association. Volume 2, which includes Africa, was published in 1992 as I recall. John Cain Acting Map Curator University of Melbourne Library phone: +61-3-93448416 email: [log in to unmask] http://www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/collections/maps/Map-page.html