----------------------------Original message---------------------------- We're glad to see that our long-time claim that Rozel Point SW is the blankest U.S. Geological Survey topographic quadrangle has not been successfully challenged. I suspect that the same general area may also be able to claim to have the biggest short-lived named feature on a USGS published map. Check out "Great Salt Lake and Newfoundland Evaporation Basin" a USGS special edition from 1987. The Newfoundland Evaporation Basin was caused by pumping water from a too-full Great Salt Lake into the salt flats to the west. At its largest it was about 60km long and 30-60km wide. I'm sure that larger regions have been under water temporarily ; but have any of these been formally named? The basin (known to local wits as Bangeter Bay, after the Governor who bought the pumps) lasted several years until more typical dry weather brought down the level of the Great Salt Lake so that it was not a threat to trans-continental railines and highways. Barbara Cox [log in to unmask] Science and Engineering Division, 159 Marriott Library University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah USA 84112 (801)581-7533 fax (801)585-3464