----------------------------Original message---------------------------- I regret to inform the map library community of the death of Michael Dulka, former map librarian at the United Nations. In the past, he had worked at Clark University, and in the Virgin Islands, and Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He died Saturday morning from cancer, after a three year struggle. Sadly, his father and brother also died of the same form of cancer. Arrangements are not final, but it is known that Michael is to be cremated on Tuesday, and a memorial service will be held in the United Nations chapel at a later time. Many of us have fond memories of Michael, and most of them associated with fine dining! He made sure I celebrated my 50th birthday in March with a fabulous dinner at the Gotham Cafe. He hosted several map library meetings in the UN, and usually arranged wonderful international treats from local ethnic restaurants for our delectation. Michael was a playwright and a book collector. He had a shelfload of out of print Baedeker's and collected the works of the English writer Ronald Firbank. He loved to travel, and most recently had been able to travel to England. St. Petersburg, Russia and Berlin were two other favorite travel destinations. He was a member of the New York Map Society and the Mercator Society of NYPL. Memorial gifts may be made in his name to organizations involved in cancer research. I will try to have more detail for you on this after I speak with Michael's family. Alice Hudson Chief, Map Division, NYPL