     Dear mapsters,

     [no, I am not back on maphist, just sending out good info!]

     This lovely new book just landed on my desk, and I wanted to pass on
     the information to you. Some old friends are represented in the text,
     and you may want to look for this series as it comes out.

     North American Exploration 1.

     A New World Disclosed.  Lincoln & London, U Nebraska Press, 1997.

     Edited by John Logan Allen.

     isbn 0-8032-1015-9

     Contents:

     Pre-Columbian Discoveries and Exploration of North America, Alan G.
     MacPherson.

     Native North Americans' Cosmological Ideas and Geographical Awareness:
     Their Representation and Influence on Early European Exploration and
     Geographical Knowledge, G. Malcolm Lewis

     The Columbian Voyages, Robert H. Fuson

     Early Spanish Exploration: The Caribbean, Central America and the Gulf
     of Mexico, Robert S. Weddle

     Hacia el Norte! The Spanish Entrada into North America, 1513-1549,
     Dennis Reinhartz and Oakah L. Jones

     The Northwest Passage in Theory and practice, David Beers Quinn

     A Continent Revealed: Assimilation of the Shape and Possiblities of
     North America's East Coast, 1524-1610, Karen Ordahl Kupperman

     The Early Exploration of the Pacific Coast, W. Michael Mathes.

     Haven't read it yet, but it looks yummy, and should provide good
     grazing material for my research toward a future exhibit in
     preparation here.

     Oh,yes,  ... v. 2 will be "A continent defined," and v. 3 "A continent
     comprehended."

     Alice Hudson
     Map Division,
     Center for the Humanities, NYPL