Actually this is already available from USGS as a database on diskette.  The
database is importable into Excel, so I assume it is importable into Access.
You can view the database on our web site at
http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/usgs.htm (pick any state).*

The database lists all USGS topos that are currently listed as being in
print (not necessarily in stock) at all scales.  The database lists:

USGS file number
ISBN #
Title
year**
map scale
map type (topo feet, topo meters, etc.)

*  I've deleted the year listed - see discussion below.

**  I've forgotten which date the "year" gives you - I think it is date of
"last review".  It is not the date of last publication (meaning the date of
the current edition).  The date in the data file is typically newer than the
date that appears on the current edition.  This  is a bone of contention
between the map dealers and the USGS as the date given in the database
cannot be used by the dealers to determine the date that will actually show
up on the current edition of the map sheet itself.   So if you list the date
in the datafile and a customer sees it, then they think that they have
gotten an old edition.

 Amazingly enough, the USGS apparently does not have in  a database format
the date of publication of  the current edition.

Give a yell if anyone has questions.

Russell Guy
Omni Resources
http://www.omnimap.com

>Thiry wrote:
>> I am in the midst of creating a datebase of all the current topos (all
>> scales) from USGS using Microsoft Access.
>
>Will this include up-to-date information on quad revisions (an
>electronic, _current_ version of the USGS "brown books")? If so, the
>word should also be spread the word among map retailers, for whom this
>would be an valuable resource. Thanks for providing this service for all
>of us!
>--
>Nat Case
>Hedberg Maps, Inc.