----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hi Francis; I agree with what you said. The one problem is that I think a wall map was requested, and the 2 x 3 ft (66 x 99 cm) size of the OS maps aren't large enough for wall size. This is a problem with nearly all countries - they produce a 2 x 3 single-sheet map, but nothing larger. Same goes with Bartholomew, Harper, etc., they are all single-sheet maps designed for the backs of doors, etc., not on a spring-roller mount in front of a classroom. This is why the Klett/Perthes/Haack maps are in demand, and also why they can charge the prices they do - they are large enough to be used as classroom maps, and not so cluttered that they can be read from the back of the room as well. We do alot of laminating/spring-roller mounting for universities for specialty maps, and it runs about $100-300 per map depending on the choice of mount. Russell Guy Omni Resources At 10:03 AM 7/2/97 EDT, you wrote: >----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > > > Jim Coombs > Map Librarian > SW Missouri State Univ. > > As I'm sure you (and Russell Guy of OMNI Resources) will agree, it is > ususally best to seek a map of a certain country from that country's > own survey/mapping authority. If only to better ensure that > administrative information, toponyms, and legends are correct. Unless > your professor insists on an equally balanced political/physical map > might I suggest, in place of a German (but entirely in English > language?) product, that a map from our (British) Ordnance Survey > should be sought? There is, for example, 'United Kingdom: > administrative [map]', [Ed.]A, 1:1 000 000, Southampton; OS, 1996, 99 > x 90cm, which "[...] shows the administrative areas corrected to April > 1997 but [...] does not include the District boundaries", and includes > on the sheet 'How they looked in the past: the counties of Great > Britain [as of 1879]'. > > Lacking admin. data there is the 'Relief map of Great Britain'. [ca > 1:1 750 000], OS, 1993, 77 x 49cm, which was "Produced from OS 1:50 > 000 scale Digital Elevation Models". Looking to (more obviously) > commercial map-makers, I would suggest Bartholomew products for > HarperCollins, or Philip; this is certainly where OMNI (and other IMTA > members) should help selection - on the assumption that their data > sources (e.g. producers' catalogs) are sufficiently informative! > These days, of course, firms like Philip, Harper-Collins, and the OS > can produce the map you wish on demand - if you're prepared to pay... > Lamination/rollers, is usually (as I'm sure you know) an 'extra'. > > Sincerely > Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS, London) > [log in to unmask] > OMNI Resources [log in to unmask] http://www.omnimap.com