I don't think "enclave" is the term ask for, since it mostly concern a very
small portion of one country within another.
The "curious staff member", I guess, asked for a term describing countries
as San Marino, Vatican City and Lesotho, where the complete country is
surrounded by a single other country (Italy and South Africa respectively)
I think these three are the only countries having this feature, so I wonder
if a special word exists.
We must make one!

At 10:02 25-07-97 EDT, you wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Arlyn Sherwood wrote:

Visit the MapHist WWW page
<http://kartoserver.frw.ruu.nl/HTML/STAFF/krogt/maphist.htm>

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Dr Peter van der Krogt
Map Historian, Explokart Research Program
Faculty of Geographical Sciences, University of Utrecht
P.O. Box 80.115
3508 TC  UTRECHT, The Netherlands
<http://kartoserver.frw.ruu.nl/HTML/STAFF/krogt/krogt.htm>
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY PER ANGUSTA AD AUGUSTA YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY