For MAPS-L subscribers who are not on MapHist:
(duplicate message previously sent to MapHist)

A number of years ago, I began work on a digital version of an index to
the charts of J.F.W. DesBarres' Atlantic Neptune.  Using the
original work of a colleague as a springboard, (and a complete
set of microfiche from the National Archives of Canada) each
chart boundary was entered into Arc/Info and merged with a modern
coastline of the Atlantic seaboard.  ArcView was then used to
prepare the index images for the Neptune site.

From there, scanned images of selected microfiche negatives were
prepared and linked to the index records.   Multi-fiche images were
assembled with PCI's image analysis system and resampled from 2400
dpi to approximately 120 dpi for web display.  Many charts are available
with close-up/zoomed views of selected portions and all are listed by
Stevens number and the corresponding National Map Collection
reference number.

The resampled images have been restricted to under 400K in size
(GIF uncompressed); as opposed to the reference images
of up to 300+/- MB.  In testing, image views look OK on a 256 colour
monitor - better in 24 bit (all images are b&w).

I'd appreciate any comments with respect to performance
and ease of use, etc. (version 0.1.6). Future plans are to include a
discussion area for each chart.  All suggestions welcome:

http://mercator.cogs.nscc.ns.ca/neptune.html

Thanks;
David Raymond