Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:55:46 -0500
From: Larry Romans <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ALA Council Votes to add GODORT rep

At the Annual Conference in San Francisco, ALA Council voted
overwhelmingly to change ALA by-laws to add to the Council a
representative from the five largest round tables (including GODORT)
and a sixth Councilor to represent the other  round tables.  This change
will haveto be approved by the membership of ALA next Spring when
the ballot for ALA officers and councilors is distributed.

The represents a complete turnaround by ALA Council in less than three
years.  When I introduced a resolution in 1995 to add round-table
councilors, it was defeated decisively.  I think this says a lot about how
helpful those in power have been along the way, about our ability to
build coalitions, and about the high regard in which round tables,
and GODORT in particular, are held.

Larry

Larry Romans,
Political Science Bibliographer and
Head, Government Information Department,
Central Library, Vanderbilt University,
419 - 21st Ave. South
Nashville TN 37240-0007
phone (615) 322-2838; FAX (615) 343-7451
internet: [log in to unmask]