        OK, mapsters, second request! Now that you are all back from Lisbon...

     A reader here in the Map Division, NYPL, who has done a lot of work
     and come up dry, asks the following, and I pass it along for the help,
     wisdom and assistance of this group.

     We have looked at Bennett's thesis, etc., etc.  We have gone the
     decorative/artistic route, now need the scientific one... See the
     following paragraph for the reader's request.  Alice Hudson, Map Div.,NYPL

     "I want to establish a connection between 16th & 17th century
     Europeans in local and/or class costume on maps and views, and
     New World figures in DeBry and in cartouches.

     Has anyone written recently on these figures as early ethnography?"

     Please respond to the list, as this discussion may be of wider
     interest.

     Alice Hudson
     Map Division, NYPL