Subject: Re: 300a
Author:  April Carlucci <[log in to unmask]> at ~Internet-Mail
Date:    7/23/97 9:08 AM

Rose Welton asked:
I have a geologic map on 3 sheets. The first sheet has the main map, the
2nd sheet has structural cross-sectional models, and the 3rd sheet has
surface soil & plant geochemistry plots. There are 13 numbered figures of
these plots, some of which are called "maps" in their individual titles.
My question is: do I count these small maps on the 3rd sheet as the total
number of maps in the 300a? Or should I just count the main map on sheet
1 and put a note on for the plots on sheet 3?

   Good! An opportunity for a big discussion on map cataloging! I'm
   sure everyone will have a different idea. Here's mine:

   300#f1#nmap on 3 sheets#bcol#h x w cm, on sheets h x w cm
   505/0 Includes cross sections and 13 ancillary maps
   [and, if you want to get specific:]
   505/1 Contents: [Sheet 1] {title of map} - [sheet 2] X structural
   cross-sections - [sheet 3] 13 soil chemistry and plant geochemistry
   plots

   Assuming, among other things, that sheets 2 and 3 couldn't stand
   alone.

   Other ideas? Curious to hear them

   April Carlucci                                [log in to unmask]
   The British Library                        Voice +44 171 412 7000x4167
   Map Library                                      +44 171 412 7703
   Great Russell Street                       Fax   +44 171 412 7780
   London  WC1B 3DG
   United Kingdom               "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"