I know it isn't strictly cartographic, but you folks are so
good at answering obscure questions that I thought I would
take advantage of the (northern hemisphere) summer lull to ask...

Can anyone enlighten me regarding the origins of the names
"Asia", "Europe" and "Africa"? Where did these names come
from, who first coined them ... and why?
"Australia" and "America" are more straightforward and, I
think, reasonable well documented, but the old world seems
less so.

Hope those of you who, like me, have been given time off for
good behaviour are enjoying your vacation :-)

Darius Bartlett