----------------------------Original message---------------------------- As I suspected some of my friendly neighborhood archaeologists knew where some of these places were. Nearly all of the ones we know about have some kind of site on the Web independent of the UNESCO list. Spain-Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Guadalupe http://www.archINFORM.de/restart.en.htm Russia-Kizhi Pogost on Kizhi Island in Lake Onega, approximately at 62 02 N, 34 35 E (northeast of St. Petersburg) Romania- Churches of Moldavia They suspect that these are in the area of the Prut River. Slovakia- Spissky Hrad and its associated cultural monuments http://www.kosice.sk/info/spis/spis1.htm Sweden- Engelsberg Ironworks http://www.ekomuseum.se/be_31.htm In the Bergslagen region of Sweden (west of Stockholm and Uppsala, east of Hagfors, north of Orebro, south of Gavle, mostly along the Malaren Valley); this is one of the early industrial regions of Sweden, mainly because of its waterpower and nearby woods (Editor's note from when I visited this area around 1979). Turkey- Nemrut Dag http://www.focusmm.com.au/~focus/civcty/nemru_00.htm in the vicinity of 37 30 N, 37 00 E between the Taurus (Toros) Mountains and the Euphrates River One of our dudes has actually been to this place and we have pictures of the heads hanging in our hallway. HTH. virginia -- \ / Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California 0 Bellnet: 310.206.7588 Oo Internet: [log in to unmask] http://www.ioa.ucla.edu/~hetrick