----------------------------Original message---------------------------- K A Parsons wrote: > > ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > Hello all, > > A colleague and I need your assistance. We have a graduate student working > on her Ph.D. in Land Architecture and her topic, in a nutshell, is how the > United States was settled using maps to show the progression. She is > investigating how explorers used trails to travel, where traders and armed > forces located posts and forts, and which posts and forts become towns, etc. > She will then show how Iowa was settled using similar ideas. > > Her first question to us is that she needs information about the Jefferson > Grid. When asking for more information we learned that the phase Jefferson > Gris is not used very often. However, she indicated that the National Land > Survey is its base. Can any of you help us to locate information about the > grid. > > Her second request concerns maps showing the progression of human settlement > across the country, before and after, the National Land Survey. > Specifically she wants maps showing old trails, Indian settlements, > trading posts, forts and early communities. Any ideas of maps, textual > information and other stuff to help her? > > Can any of you help? Any and all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you > in advance. > > --- > Kathy A. Parsons Voice: 515-294-7886 > 152 Parks Library Fax: 515-294-5525 > Iowa State University E-mail: [log in to unmask] > Ames, IA 50011Was not Jefferson the "author" of the Northwest Ordinance, in which the Public Land Survey system was applied for the first time? I have not come across the term Jefferson Grid, but is it not reasonable to connect the two? Caveat: This is based on intuition, not research.