Aloha,

Approximately 7 years ago our Map Collection purchased three large
5-drawer map case units from the Foster Manufacturing Co.  The
drawer dimensions are extra-large - 64"x50".  The three units are
stacked on top of each other, and stand on a 7" high base.  I believe
at that time of our order, Foster had an even wider map case (74"x44").

We store our oversize maps and plans in these map cases.  Many of
these maps have been encapsulated, and therefore are not foldable.
We also use a few of the extra drawers to house our fragile volumes
of Sanborn Fire Insurance maps.  The map cases, although expensive (!)
allow us to keep oversize material flat and in a dust-free and secured
environment.

As a side note, the movers who delivered the map cases told me that
each unit w/drawers weighed 700 lbs.  One of the movers was almost
crushed as he and his small crew of 3 others tried to lift the top
most unit onto the other two.  Might be a good idea to check your
floor's load bearing weight.

I'd be interested in hearing how other map libraries store oversize
maps, too.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection    [log in to unmask]