Hi all-- I'm working with an electronic formats cataloger in our
Cataloging Division to catalog some CD-ROMs of GIS data (for example, 8
CDs of King County, Washington GIS data and 12 CDs of City of Seattle GIS
data). Currently, I catalog only paper maps in the Map
Collection...electronic format cataloging is done in our central
Cataloging Division.

These CDs contain many thematic data layers of GIS data, we think too
many to do thematic subject headings (although we could probably do a few
general ones like transportation, administrative and political divisions,
hydrology, real property, etc.). Anyway, we are putting the following
subject headings on the record for King County.  Is this generally what
other folks are doing?  These CDs contain data only...no software.

651  0  King County (Wash.) |x Maps |x Databases.
650  0  Digital mapping |x Databases.  (Wouldn't it be nice if this could
be subdivided geographically?)

We've also talked about responding to the request to find all "GIS data"
in the Libraries catalog. Maybe a 655 genre/form entry?  Like this?:

655  7  Geographic information systems data. $2 local

Perhaps putting the "650  0  Digital mapping |x Databases" on every
record would suffice for finding all the records.

Any comments or other ideas?  Thanks, Kathryn

Kathryn Womble                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Map Collection                          Phone: (206) 543-9392
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, WA  98195-2900