Mark,

I have to agree with you on this particular case, it appears that this
title should have been classed "C2" as per the instructions in the
G-Schedule versus what is actually shown on the map. The one idea I have as
to why it was classed "C7" is that the cataloger decided that this map set
was not *exclusively* showing bathymetry, but also included a much broader
range of information relevant to oceanography. I wouldn't say that the C7
classification is wrong, just that perhaps the C2 classification would have
been more correct.

Paige Andrew

P.S. I'm working on trying to find documentation to your other question. No
luck yet but I've only put about 5 minutes into it. You may want to talk
directly to Barbara Story at the Library of Congress ([log in to unmask])
regarding usage of class numbers as they apply to cities formerly in one
country and now in another.

At 02:34 PM 10/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In an OCLC record for the General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans
>(GEBCO), input by DLC (OCLC # 8242649), they use the subject cutter .C7.
>
>This seems to violate explicit instructions in LC's own G schedule, which
>under .C7 (Oceanography.) states "For characteristics and morphology of
>the ocean bottom, see subdivision .C2" and under .C2 (Physiography.
>Geomorphology.) it states "Including relief features and bathymetry."
>
>The map really *is* a set of bathymetric maps, showing contours of the
>ocean floor, and not a map concerning the characteristics of the water
>itself (which would be .C7).
>
>Am I missing something, or was someone at DLC perhaps a little confused
>(as we all are sometimes)?  This is an important matter, because at many
>libraries there's a tendency to accept DLC copy without enough healthy
>skepticism.
>
>thanks.
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Mark Thomas                         | Yet there's not a train I
>Perkins Library, Duke University    |     wouldn't take
>919-660-5853  /  FAX: 919-684-2855  | No matter where it's going
>[log in to unmask]                |   --Edna St. Vincent Millay

Mr. Paige G. Andrew
Maps/Nonbook Cataloger
E506 Pattee Library
Pennsylvania State University Libraries