----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Okay, my turn to take a stab at this. I appreciated Phil Hoehn's comments, they helped me focus mine a bit. I agree with Phil's assertion that classifying maps by SuDoc number is, well, not necessarily "idiotic", but at least short-sighted and does not do the user a favor at all. Map collections are best arranged in a geographic format, SuDocs of course is an arrangement by government agency. The Library of Congress classification system, using the G-Schedule in particular, is the most widely used system of its kind for arranging map collections, and is a geographic arrangement. Let's allow our map collection users to use something inherently more of a "common sense" approach, as well as allowing folks who use different map collections the opportunity to take their skill in finding maps in one collection to others without having to re-learn another arrangement method. As for the USGS topo quads in particular, an alphabetical arrangement by state, sub-arranged by sheet name is just fine! For one, the collection should have all of the indexes, one for each state, that lists the sheet names plus has a map index to go by. This is one of the easier ways to allow your patrons to use these maps, most folk understand alphabetic arrangements. This also takes less time for your staff to maintain. If you do want to catalog these maps (and who doesn't? as it provides on online record in the local online union catalog) most collections at least have provided one record for the United States as a whole with a call number like: G3701 s24 .G4 From there, the user can then come to the collection and use the alphabetic/indexed system pretty quickly and easily. Here at PSU (er, Penn State that is) we wanted to both provide access to the individual sheet for all sheets in Pennsylvania, and to each of the other states separately, plus be able to get a grip on the various copies and editions of each sheet that we hold. Melissa Lamont and I worked out both a bibliographic arrangement that works and a technological method for tracking our holdings down to copy and edition specific level. Now that we have mounted a patron-level link to our Innovacq holdings records, which is where we placed copy and edition info. for each quad sheet, a patron can look up a bib. record in the online catalog for either a specific sheet if its in Pennsylvania (and, of course, we created a "parent" record for Pennsylvania as a whole too) or a record for any of the other states and then be able to go into Innovacq to check on the Libraries' holdings for any edition we may have. A co-authored article about the process we went through, and reasoning for handling our 7.5 minute topo quads this way, is forthcoming in early 1998 in _Technical Services Quarterly_. Its titled "Bending the Rules: Creatively Adapting Library Systems to Automate the Map Collection". Finally, Phil's words to the wise regarding very carefully formulating your Marcive profile, should the institution decide to continue in that direction are worth following. The same goes for setting up any kind of arrangement for a recon project contracted outside of your institution. We recently mounted Marcive records for maps at our place and have had little problems in retrieval, thanks much to the folks who spent much time in the profiling process. I know folks like HelenJane Armstrong at Florida State University Libraries Map Collection have been using Marcive records for some time and they went through a period of getting the best out of those records. I hope this two cents worth helps Mr. Kohut in his discussions with his Cataloging Department. Sincerely, At 09:51 AM 10/22/97 -0400, you wrote: >----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > This is a request for information from J. Kohut at Portland State > University who is not on the list, please reply to him > ([log in to unmask]). > > The catalogers at PSU are discussing plans to recon the map collection > using Marchive records with SuDoc classifications; currently the topo > maps are arranged alphabetically by state and quad name and the rest > of the collection is organized geographically (although I am not sure > if it is using LC). I get the impression that the catalogers are being > quite insistent about this and Mr. Kohut would appreciate information > which he can bring to the discussions which would help him counteract > their intentions. Of course, if anyone feels that SuDoc organization > would be an improvement he would like to hear that also. > > Thank you. > > Joanne Perry > Map Librarian, Oregon State University > [log in to unmask] > Mr. Paige G. Andrew Maps/Nonbook Cataloger E506 Pattee Library Pennsylvania State University Libraries The Pennsylvania State University University Park, PA 16802 [log in to unmask] phone: 814-865-1755 fax: 814-863-7293