This is a classification question from a non-cataloger.

We have the Gale edition of the G schedule, which includes additions
and changes through 1995.  This shows cities in the former Yugoslavia
being classed at G6844 (although there are, of course, classes for the
entities that made up Yugoslavia and are now separate countries).

We have some old AMS city plans of cities in Yugoslavia.  In OCLC,
Berkeley has classed some of these under the current country (e.g.
Sarajevo at G6864, under Bosnia, instead of G6844, under Yugoslavia).
See, for instance, OCLC nos. 34769113, 34821877, 34821878, 34821886, and
34821876.  Can someone give me a quote or a reference from an LC
publication that touches on this, if, in fact, these cities are now
supposed to be classed under Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, etc?

(I'm suspecting our 1995 G schedule is just out of date;  maps are the
only thing this library classes LC, so we don't have a subscription to
Gale's LC classifications.  Also, cataloging is done in the main tech
services department and the people in the map unit don't usually see LC
serials on cataloging and classification directives.)

I didn't think, in general, that classes like this were changed too
readily, since they're supposed to represent geographical rather than
political location, although German cities that were formerly in East
Germany at G 6094 now seem to be classed under the former western Germany
/ West Germany class of G6299, along with all cities in Germany.

I'd appreciate being directed to any discussions of this issue.  thanks.

Mark Thomas                         | Yet there's not a train I
Perkins Library, Duke University    |     wouldn't take
919-660-5853  /  FAX: 919-684-2855  | No matter where it's going
[log in to unmask]                |   --Edna St. Vincent Millay