----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Brad: Thanks for the review f the new NG atlas. I'd like to point out, in National Geographic's defense, that this atlas is in direct competition with the best-selling book in the world (on an anniual basis), the Rand McNally Road Atlas. Many of the features mentioned as drawbacks are present in the RM atlas, and I think in general, the NG atlas is a great improvement. It might have been a morally better choice to start from scratch, but when you're going into competition with an established product, you have to take into consideration the habits of the millions of people who use the competition. In particular, the alphabetic vs. regional question fir the US is complicated. Other atlases (notably RS Wurman's USAtlas) have tried a reional approach. Rand's own Atlas and Vaction Guide had (has?) a regional organization, frankly, I find this confusing. If not on a rectangular grid, how do you know which page to go to next? If ona rectangular grid, how do you deal with the vastly different scales needed for different parts of the country? You simply cannot map the Northeast the same scale you map Montana. Perhaps a two- or three-part grid. I don't know. -- Nat Case Hedberg Maps, Inc. Publisher of PROFESSOR PATHFINDER Maps ___________________________________________________ Production Office (White River Jct, VT): [log in to unmask] Business and Sales Office (Minneapolis, MN): [log in to unmask]