----------------------------Original message---------------------------- I'm somewhat of a novice. I have the 1995 GNIS data. This data gives latitude and longnatude of listed features on topographic maps (and perhaps more). My question is: is there a way to convert latitude and longnatude to township, range, and subdivision and vice versa? I didn't fully understand the post below, but it seems to relate to what I am asking - I think. Mike Flannigan [log in to unmask] wrote: > > ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > >From Infomine Maps database: > > Bureau of Land Management GCDB Home Page > > Welcome to the BLM's Geographic Coordinate Data Base (GCDB) home page. > You will find information about our > collection of public land survey geographic coordinates files. ------File > Formats, sample data files, contacts, and > ARC AML------All these htmls, sample files and wordperfect versions of > the htmls can be found at > ftp.blm.gov/pub/gis/gcdb/gcdb.zip------ The Bureau of Land Management > (BLM) began collection of the > Geographic Coordinate Data Base (GCDB) in 1989. The GCDB is a portrayal > of the Public Land Survey System. > GCDB is computed from BLM survey records (Survey Plats and field notes) > and other survey control. GCDB is > computed on a township basis. The township, sections, aliquot parts, lots > and special surveys (such as tracts, indian > allotments, mineral surveys) are typically collected. At this time, BLM > is still performing data collection of the GCDB > and therefore does not have complete GCDB coverage of the western United > States. However, we do have a > production database that lists the townships being collected, and some of > the states have a map portraying where > townships have been collected to date. > > URL: http://www-a.blm.gov/gcdb/