     The New York Times Book Review for Sunday, November 2, had a very
     positive review for a new book mapfolk may or may not know of.

     Martin W. Lewis and Karen E. Wigen
     The Myth of Continents, a critique of metageography
     Berkely, University of California Press, 1997.
     isbn 0520207424;  0520207432/pbk

     I have not read the book, although I did purchase it Saturday at the
     local Barnes and Noble, filed under World History if you go looking...

     Here is a quote from the back cover with the publisher's perspective
     on the contents:

     In this incisive critique, geographer Martin W. Lewis and historian
     Karen E. Wigen reexamine the basic geographical divisions we take for
     granted. Arguing that notions of East versus West, First World versus
     Third World, and even the sevenfold continental system are simplistic
     and misconceived, Lewis and Wigen trace the history of such
     misconceptions on the global scale and in relation to the specific
     continents of Europe, Asia and Africa. From its fresh insights into
     the assumptions behind or worldview to its bold proposal for a new,
     more accurate macroregions, this up to the minute study is bound to
     facscinate anyone interested in the history of the globe."

     The NYT book review focused singularly on how maps were distorted to
     reflect these various worldviews. I am not sure the book's only focus
     is the map record, but that is what prompted me to go after the text.

     I found the book review, and at least the first half of the preface to
     the book, thoughtful, intelligent, useful, and worthy of a serious
     reading. So I will plug away, in between various other tasks.

     I was amazed and pleased to see this book even mentioned by the
     NYTimes, and for a positive review for what seems to me to be an
     obscure book about maps and geography...Alice