National Gegraphic shaded relief is created by specifically talented NGS
staffers (and occasionally long-time freelancers) using Photoshop.

I was one of many people who went on a tour of the NGS Map division in
Sepetember as part of the Int'l Map Trade Assn meetings. One interesting
thing they pointed out is that for production purposes they strictly
separate raster and vector elements of the artwork: diffrent people,
different work-flow, etc. Obviously, the elements are brought togetehr
for matching, but as a production company who tends to work organically
(and sometimes mesily) with whatever elements are involved in a piece,
it was an interesting process. Would that we all had their kind of
budget....
--
Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.

Publisher of PROFESSOR PATHFINDER Maps
Production Office (White River Jct, VT): [log in to unmask]
Business and Sales Office (Minneapolis, MN): [log in to unmask]