The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Map and Geography Library
is running a joint pilot project with the University Library's Digital
Imaging Initiative and the Geographic Modeling Systems Laboratory at the
University of Illinois to explore conserving historical aerial
photographs while increasing access to the collection through digital
means.

Approximately 270 photographs have been scanned and JPG files are
available for viewing through a web site located at
http://images.grainger.uiuc.edu/airphotos.htm  Information about the
project is also availabe at the site.

I would like to invite you to take a look at the site and test the
interface.  We would appreciate any comments and suggestions you have; a
feedback form is available as part of the web site.  It would be
especially helpful if we could receive your comments prior to December
19.

Of course, since this is a pilot project, not everything is completely
up and running.  If you try the detailed search, please be aware that
the state map in the left frame is not yet connected to what will be
happening in the right frame.  We plan to have the left frame set up so
that users can zoom into their area of interest.  The zoomed area will
then drive the contents of the drop-down lists -- only those places
within the zoomed area will appear in the lists.  So for now, just click
on the "Retrieve Features" button in the right frame....  we only have
data for part of Will County, Illinois, surrounding Joliet.

Once you're looking at the Individual Photo Image Display, "This Area --
Other Years," "Download TIFF Image," and the directional buttons for
panning to adjoining images are not yet functional.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughtful comments!

Jenny Marie Johnson
Map and Geography Library

217-333-0827