I pulled this message from Autocat right before ALA but do not remember
seeing it on Maps-l.  For those of you who catalog maps and do not
subscribe to Autocat or were not at ALA I thought this message might be
of interest to you.  My apologies if you have seen it already.

Ellen Caplan, OCLC
======================
>Date:    Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:12:18 -0500
>From:    CPSO <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cartographic Computer File Guidelines Available

Guidelines for Distinguishing Cartographic Materials on Computer File
 Carriers Available

     The Library of Congress has developed guidelines to assist
catalogers working with cartographic computer files to distinguish
them from other types of computer files.  The guidelines are
intended to ensure consistent selection of the correct USMARC Type
of Record (Leader/06) code by offering definitions, selection
criteria, and illustrative examples.  In the past, Type of Record
code "m" (Computer file) was used to indicate that the content of
the record was for a body of information encoded in a manner that
allows it to be processed by a computer, that is, a computer file
carrier (e.g., computer disk/c, computer cartridge, remote access
file).  MARBI Proposal No. 95-9 (Encoding of Digital Maps in the
USMARC Bibliographic Format) redefined the Leader/06 code "e" from
"printed map" to "cartographic material," thus making it possible
to emphasize the content of the item by encoding records for
cartographic materials on computer file carriers using the
Leader/06 value "e" (Cartographic material), instead of "m"
(Computer file).

     The guidelines are only intended to address issues related
to the change in definition of code "e" in Leader/06 noted above.
Additional guidelines will be developed and issued in the future
to address the redefinition of code "m" in Leader/06 approved as
part of MARBI Proposal No. 97-3R (Redefinition of code "m"
(Computer file) in Leader/06 in the USMARC Bibliographic Format).

     The guidelines may be found at the Library of Congress Web
site at http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/cfmap.html.  Comments on the
guidelines may be addressed to the Cataloging Policy and Support
Office via electronic mail to: [log in to unmask]