Greetings Folks.

At Easter, I shall be leading a party of geography students on a
field trip to the Limburg area of the Netherlands. We are staying
near Maastricht and, during the course of the week, hope to spend
time in Limburg itself, and also on/across the various borders into
neighbouring territories of Belgium, Germany, as well as - time
permitting - a day further afield in Luxembourg.

I have been trying to anticipate and review our mapping requirements,
both for planning (thematic and logistical) and also for use in the
field, and would appreciate your advice and suggestions. Indeed, if
anyone knows of a field studies guide to the region, this
would be wonderful!

My specific questions regarding maps are as follows:

Firstly, 1:50,000 scale maps seem to offer the best combination of
detail with portability in the field. I have been looking at the
relevant pages of Geo Katalog, and see that there is a fair bit of
overlap between maps produced by the Dutch, Belgian and German
authorities. This prompts me to ask whether, on qualitative grounds,
there is any strong difference between these? Of the three, I am only
really familiar with the Dutch mapping, which seems good, but is it
the best...? Is there much to choose from in terms of amount of detail,
legibility and currency? One bit of detail I would appreciate having
(which I believe IS present on the Dutch sheets) is field boundaries. Do
the Belgians and Germans also include this on their 50,000 mapping?

Secondly, can anyone recommend any good maps showing walking routes in
the Ardennes? I understand there are a number of way-marked trails
in the mountains on the Belgian/German border, in the Liege/Spa/Aachen
area, and would like to obtain details of where these walks are and what
they can offer in the way of field studies...

Thirdly, I would be glad of general recommendations regarding thematic
mapping (geomorphology, soils, land use, etc.) for the area concerned
(roughly, 100km around Maastricht).

Fourthly, can anybody recommend good maps (or texts) to guide a study
of the redundant lands and disused facilities from the now-closed
coalmining activities in the area?

Finally, if anybody could please provide me with the addresses (snail,
electronic or Web) for the Dutch, Belgian and German (Nordrhein-Westfalian)
state mapping agencies, this would be very much appreciated.

My apologies for the length of this enquiry. If anybody is interested, I
will summarise, but I suspect it may be too specific a request to be of
much wider interest?

Darius Bartlett
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Mobile (in Ireland): 086 8238043    Mobile (from abroad): (+353) 86 8238043
E-mail: [log in to unmask]       Web URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/djb
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....