 I wish to thank all of the people who took the time to respond.  And to
those from outside the United States thank you also.  The knowledge of
what other countries do is also helpful.

 Not having done a survey on the Internet before, I would like to take the
time to show others what I did WRONG. So that you may avoid my mistakes
and make your own "new" ones.

 Even after having another person read the questions, I omitted some
needed definitions and an additional needed category. Below wherever you
see *** I will insert my comments/corrections.

*** Since the intent was to take e-mail messages and convert to Word
Processing for tabulation the length of the lines should be shorter with
the answers under the questions
1) Do you circulate any of your maps?
        YES ____        NO ____

1) Do you circulate any of your maps?           YES _____       NO _____

*** This didn't seem to cause any trouble.

2) Is your collection in its' own Library       YES _____       NO _____
 (Are you a room or a stand alone?)

*** This should have been three categories instead of YES or NO. As
lockable areas/rooms didn't fit too well.

Own Library____   Lockable room or floor _____    non-lockable area ____

3) What is the approximate size of your collection?
   (pieces or sheets)
                                                <25K _____      25-50K _____

                                                50-100K _____   > 100K_____

4) Of your collection do you circulate?

                                PART ____     ALMOST ALL_____   ALL _____
                                                (> 80%)

5) Do you circulate any maps by Hand?           ALL _____       SOME _____

*** By hand should have been defined as without the use of a computer.

6) Do you have automated check out for maps?    YES _____       NO _____

*** Again a definition of using a computer so that "self-checkout", "on
the fly", an online database with circulation module would be the YES
answer.

 I will be very interested to see if a  pattern exist and how many map
collections are still checking out by hand.

 Thank You again for your assistance.

*** I am still tabulating the results. We had a "Computer Crash."
         Thank You one and all

  Peter Gratton      [log in to unmask]
  Government Publications Dept Library
  Library Assistant IV Maps & Collection Development
  Univ of Nevada, Las Vegas
  4505 Maryland Parkway
  Box 457013
  Las Vegas NV 89154-7013

 I have all the answers. I just don't know, what questions they go to.