Greetings,

I believe that the copy of the National Map Accuracy Standard (NMAS) in "Maps
for America" is complete.  I haven't seen the copy in the "Coatal Mapping
Handbook."

A copy of  the NMAS is included along with some background information at
  http://mapping.usgs.gov/mac/isb/pubs/factsheets/fs07896.html
A copy is also online through the GIS FAQ site at
  http://www.census.gov/geo/www/faq-index.html
Q3.1: What are the United States map accuracy standards?

Your 1947 reference is correct.  The Bureau of the Budget later evolved into the
Office of Management and Budget (OMB).  The earliest journal or book that I have
seen containing the standard is the December 1960 issue of Surveying and Mapping
(from ACSM).  A copy was also reprinted in the January 1992 issue of Geo Info
Systems in the article "National Map Accuracy Standards: Out of Sync, Out of
Time" by Slonecker and Tosta.

A newer accuracy standard that is not yet endorsed is available from the Federal
Geographic Data Committee at
  http://www.fgdc.gov/Standards/Status/sub1_3.html
It is the FGDC (draft) Geospatial Positioning Accuracy Standards: Part 3,
National Spatial Data Accuracy Standard.

 Hope this helps,
 Charley Hickman -- Geographer
 U.S. Geological Survey -- Rolla, Missouri
 http://mapping.usgs.gov/
 http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/

> Gayle Richards Christian <[log in to unmask]> 1/30 9:07 AM>
Our Interlibrary loan folks have a request for:

  "United States National Map Accuracy Standards," by the  U.S.  Bureau of the
Budget, 17 June 1947.

I found what appears to be a partial copy in "Maps for America", p. 104 and what
may be a complete version in "Coastal Mapping Handbook", appendix 6, pp.
155-156.  However, I was hoping someone with a knowledge of this map standard
would know where it was originally published and also know if this the complete
standard.

Many thanks!
Gayle
:Gayle R. Christian (404) 651-2422 (voice) :  : Reference and Documents
Librarian (404) 651-2508 (fax) :  : William Russell Pullen Library
INTERNET: [log in to unmask] :  : Georgia State University
[log in to unmask] :  : Atlanta, GA 30303-3081