The original question was:

>> Is there a future for USGS maps in print form or are there
>> digital alternatives that can replace our paper collection now?

Just before Christmas last, at the end of a one-term course on basic
principles in cartography for second-year students (which covered
such things as basic geodesy, coordinate systems, projections, scale,
symbolism...) I set an assignment. Part of this invited students to
imagine they were tendering for a contract to produce a (hypothetical)
National Atlas of Ireland. This "atlas", they were told, should take
the cartography of Ireland into the new Millennium. Their task was to
present a detailed proposal, outlining the design philosophy they would
adopt, the market they would aim at, and the type of product they would
seek to produce, as well as detailing the main sources of data they
anticipated would be drawn on, and a few other details. I deliberately
gave them carte blanche to design the atlas, and present their ideas, as
they wanted, rather than constraining them with specific map/atlas design
criteria.

It was interesting, to put it mildly, to find that well over 50% of the
students answered this by presenting proposals for a CD-ROM based
interactive atlas, on the lines of Microsoft's Encarta, rather than
considering a conventional paper product.

Most of them justified their approach on the grounds that it was
"more up-to-date"; "by the end of the century, everyone will have access
to a computer";  it allowed links to Web sites and generally to richer,
multimedia, data sources; and that constraints of scale, projection, etc.,
could be transcended by conversion to a digital environment. (I should
stress that these students have not yet had any formal exposure to lectures
or other instruction in GIS, computer cartography, etc. That comes next
year, in the course of which I try to lay some of these myths to rest!).

It was also more than a bit sobering - in fact it came as a nasty shock! -
to realise they all seemed to assume the data they would need could simply
be downloaded from "somewhere" on the Internet. The idea that someone,
somewhere has to actually capture and compile the data (and any maps used
to present the data) in the first place seems sadly to have eluded them....
I fear this is another much more common misconception among (especially
young) people today? I certainly don't think it is unique by any means
to our students!

Darius Bartlett
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Mobile (in Ireland): 086 8238043    Mobile (from abroad): (+353) 86 8238043
E-mail: [log in to unmask]       Web URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/djb
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....