In the inaugural editorial that launched the International Journal
of GIS, Coppock and Anderson suggested that "GIS is as old as
cartography, and predates computers" (1987).

My GIS students have recently been exploring the relationship between
GIS and the cartographic tradition, and have been trying to answer
the question: "does the relationship between the two disciplines
[cartography and GIS] represent symbiosis, or is it the hegemony
of one profession over the other?".

I would be interested to know what you folks think? Most of you are
map librarians, but I think there are also some practicing cartographers
belonging to both the analogue and digital traditions - and possibly also
some covert GISers listening in to MAPS-L discussions as well? So it would
be interesting to hear your views...

Most of my students, incidentally, hedged their bets and saw arguments
in favour of both sides without coming down one way or another! :-)

Darius Bartlett
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Mobile (in Ireland): 086 8238043    Mobile (from abroad): (+353) 86 8238043
E-mail: [log in to unmask]       Web URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/djb
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....