Our Map Library needs to replace a number of 1935 to 1941-vintage aerial
photographs that have been lost from our collection. Reproduction of such
photos is now outsourced by the National Archives and Records
Administration (NARA) to a variety of vendors, each of which has a
different price structure.  Compared to when NARA provided reproductions
directly, the vendor prices are rather intimidating -ranging from about $15
to $28 per photo plus NARA "pull fees" (normally $4.50 per exposure) and
postage/handling charges.  We have found no vendor who will give an
academic discount or a quantity discount (except for 100+ consecutive
exposures).

We want to proceed carefully by selecting a vendor that will provide good
quality reproductions for the best price.  Can any MAP-Lers offer comment
on recent experience with NARA vendors?

King Visual Technology seems to offer the lowest price (of the vendors for
which we have information), so we would especially welcome any comment on
the quality of their products and service.

Harry O. Davis                       <> Phone:    618-453-2705
Map and Assistant Science Librarian  <> FAX:      618-453-2704
Morris Library / MS 6632
Southern Illinois University         <> Internet: [log in to unmask]
Carbondale, Illinois 62901