We recently purchased 30x30 enlargements of some 1937 aerial photos of
Lexington from King Visual Technology.  Though much more expensive than
what NARA was charging, I was pleased with the product and it the turn
around time was reasonable.  The price included the 4x5 copy negatives
which we plan to archive.  I plan to order more from them when my new
fiscal year begins.  -- Gwen Curtis, Univ. of KY

At 05:19 PM 2/24/98 EST, you wrote:

>Our Map Library needs to replace a number of 1935 to 1941-vintage aerial
>photographs that have been lost from our collection. Reproduction of such
>photos is now outsourced by the National Archives and Records
>Administration (NARA) to a variety of vendors, each of which has a
>different price structure.  Compared to when NARA provided reproductions
>directly, the vendor prices are rather intimidating -ranging from about $15
>to $28 per photo plus NARA "pull fees" (normally $4.50 per exposure) and
>postage/handling charges.  We have found no vendor who will give an
>academic discount or a quantity discount (except for 100+ consecutive
>exposures).
>
>We want to proceed carefully by selecting a vendor that will provide good
>quality reproductions for the best price.  Can any MAP-Lers offer comment
>on recent experience with NARA vendors?
>
>King Visual Technology seems to offer the lowest price (of the vendors for
>which we have information), so we would especially welcome any comment on
>the quality of their products and service.
>

>Harry O. Davis                       <> Phone:    618-453-2705
>Map and Assistant Science Librarian  <> FAX:      618-453-2704
>Morris Library / MS 6632
>Southern Illinois University         <> Internet: [log in to unmask]
>Carbondale, Illinois 62901

Gwen Curtis ([log in to unmask])
Map Collection
University of Kentucky Libraries