I need a recommendation for a cheap color printer.

In the immediate future, we will NOT have any bureaucratic or
mechanical or electronic system in place to accept money for
prints, so we must use something that allows us to economically
give away maps.  This means letter or legal size (maybe ledger).
Although we have desktop mapping programs (MapInfo & ArcView),
these are used mostly to make page sized maps to illustrate a
paper or thesis (as opposed to using the mapping software as an
integral part of the research).  GIS research is done elsewhere
on campus, where they have larger format printers and plotters.
People might also want printouts from electronic atlas products
like Street Atlas USA.

I was thinking of just a consumer model HP inkjet printer (we
currently have an antique HP PaintJet XL300, but new models are
faster and better quality).  Seems that a decent one is
easy to find for <$500.  Anyone have a specific model
suggestion? (from any manufacturer) Low maintenance (i.e., cheap
ink, no jamming, etc.) is desired.

Also, I heard that Tektronix gives several of their printers
each year to universities, who must "apply" for them (justify
the need).  These are high-end solid color printers (involve
melting wax which is then jetted) used in graphics production
environments.  Very high resolution, look of a photographic
print.  Still, most are page size.  List for many thousands of
dollars. I suspect that they cost a lot to maintain. Anyone know
more?  I'm not sure that I want to make it too easy or have
printouts too nice, since it might entice too many patrons to
get too many printouts, and I hesitate to get into a maintenance
and cost hassle when a DeskJet is just 2 or 300 dollars.

thanks,
        Mark

Mark Thomas / Public Documents & Maps / Perkins Library
   Duke University / Durham, NC  27708-0177
      [log in to unmask] / voice: 919-660-5853 / FAX: 919-684-2855
The train ...
        traditional, yet environmentally sound.  --Lisa Simpson