I don't normally forward messages from one list to another, but the section
requesting assistance regarding libraries and map libraries may be of interest.

cheers
james

>Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:37:18 +0000 (GMT)
>From: CTI Geography <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Your colleagues need your advice...
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Cc: [log in to unmask] (J.A. Castleford)
>
>Ignoring this message could preclude many benefits...
>
>Geocal 18, the Spring issue is now in preparation.
>The format will change considerably from what you may have been used
>to and, for this issue, will take the form of a handbook
>for geography/geoscience lecturers that sets out what
>we think is a definitive list of resources and associated
>information that everyone will need to know about, so that they
>can make informed decisions about whether or not to utilise
>them in their teaching:
>
>Courseware: finding, reviewing, using and evaluating
>
>The Web: good, bad and indifferent practices; page `health' checks
>       including a selection of the best and worst departmental pages
>       Going beyond lists of "my favourite sites" and exploiting
>       what little educational potential can be found on-line
>
>Assessment: intellectually challenging alteratives to the essay
>           can really objective assessment save you time...
>
>Support Programmes:    Everything they do is provided for you...top-sliced
>                       out of the HE budget....your budget...
>
>The modern library:    bibliographic searches on-line; info gateways
>
>The map library:       vital resource or just a store for paper maps?
>                       on-line mapping services?
>
>Departmental Logistics:        Appropriate organisational arrangements for
>                       an effective learning environment for AD2000+
>
>and, of course, a thought or two about the culture of
>teaching and learning, student expectations, and why the
>Sage on the Stage can benefit from being the Guide on the Side
>(who said that originally??)
>
>The whole issue will focus on the `here and now' and we would
>appreciate receiving from you ....... the professionals slaving
>away alongside a hot OHP:
>
> * case studies/snippets "we did this... with this result..."
> * lecturers' state of play exemplars that can be shared
> * practical experiences (good, bad, indifferent)
>
>indeed any pragmatic notes (no diatribes, just helpful advice
>about practical experiences you'd like to pass on) - whether
>a soundbyte, a sentence or a paragraph. Images/photos welcome too.
>
>Deadline ?  Friday 9 April. You'll be glad you did. We'd rather
>facilitate a collaborative edition that features good practices
>provided by your good selves than write it ourselves.
>
>Please get in touch if you have a contribution or two to offer
>
>John Castleford
>o---------------------------------------------------o
>| CTI Centre for Geography, Geology & Meteorology   |
>| Department of Geography     Tel:  0116 252 3827   |
>| University of Leicester     Fax:  0116 252 3854   |
>| Leicester, LE1 7RH         Email:  [log in to unmask]   |
>| UK           WWW: http://www.geog.le.ac.uk/cti/   |
> [...]
James Boxall (Map Curator)                      (t) 902-494-3757
Map Collection, Science Services              (f) 902-494-2062
Killam Library, Dalhousie University           (e) [log in to unmask]
Halifax, Nova Scotia                                  www.library.dal.ca
Canada    B3H 4M8                                   /science/mapcoll.html

"What in observation is loose and vague is in information
deceptive and treacherous"   Francis Bacon, 1621

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes........:-)