                                Please pardon the cross-posting.

                   TWO IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS

(1) eagle eyes will have noted footnote no.2 to J. H. Andrews, "What
is a Map? The Lexicographers Reply," *Cartographica* 33,4 (1996
[i.e., 1998]): 1-11. This note states that the full list of map
definitions which he has compiled is available at
www.usm.maine.edu/~maps/essays. I am glad to say that John's disk
just arrived and the list of definitions is now available for public
perusal, at that address!!!!! My apologies for the delay.

(2) this is the FIRST document to be submitted to maphist's website
for documents (Peter van der Krogt maintains the parallel site for
graphics). Many people have browsed this page and have no doubt been
frustrated by the lack of substance; but if no-one submits documents
for discussion, then there won't be anything to read! My hat goes
off to Mr. Andrews for (finally!) inaugurating this web site.

Best,

Matthew

Matthew Edney

Associate Professor                          (207) 780-4767
Geography-Anthropology                   fax (207) 780-5310
American & New England Studies          [log in to unmask]

     check it out: http://www.usm.maine.edu/~maps/
                   http://www.usm.maine.edu/~maps/edney/

Osher Map Library & Smith Center for Cartographic Education
                University of Southern Maine
           P.O. Box 9301, Portland, ME 04104-9301