----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Yes, I think a series of such maps (with updates every 3-4 years) would be very interesting and useful. The tourist bureau may not like it and the police could go either way I suppose depending in the motives of the users! One of the methodological problems with the geog of crime has always been the question of mapping where the offence takes place versus the residence of the criminal (or victim). Clearly store break-ins happen where there are stores and are usually given a location in crime sheets accordingly. Sometimes these crimes take place close to the residences of the criminal , though clearly that is more the case with low mobility 'crimes' of indigence, public decency, etc. (parallel to the 19th C 'crime' mapped by Booth & Hume) than it is with bank robbers and white collar crime, etc. I suspect prostitution falls midway depending on the economic class of the 'criminal' - usually the prostitute, though now increasingly, the 'john'. The tourist and visitor need a map which would show where one's safety or comfort is or APPEARS to be compromised - either by actual or threat of physical violence or by accosting and soliciting - for money, drugs, squeegee cleaning, etc. Such distributions might be evident from police reports of actual crime, or more subjectively from personal impressions of street life and knowledge of criminal or 'visibility' offences of the type mentioned above. These types of threat do move from place to place sometimes over comparatively short periods of time - witness the transformations going on in NY 's theatre district - as police presence ebbs and flows and as newspaper campaigns take on and drop particular causes (e.g. Vancouver, BC street prostitution). I make these remarks without yet having seen Cy Yoakam's map of Chicago. Samples of Booth's survey (which was more broadly concerned with the 'state of England ' question at the end of the 19thC) are contained in Harold Pfautz., Charles Booth on the City. Physical Pattern and Social Structure, Chicago, 1967. I believe his maps may have been republished in their entirety in London more recently but don't have a ref. to that (I am fortunate enough to have picked up an original set of the 6 Vols. of 'Life and Labour' complete with a full set of maps some time ago). [log in to unmask]