----------------------------Original message---------------------------- While Cartography and GIS are very related, I do not see GIS as being the "cartography of the future." GIS is a great tool for the creation of data to be used in cartographic endeavors, but it is not a cartographic tool within itself. I have yet to see ANY product from a GIS package or house that cannot be improved upon by taking it back into those Stone Age desk-top publishing tools (Freehand, Illustrator, CorelDraw). By looking in almost any magazine that uses maps in their articles you will find that there are quite a few shops/artists out there producing some very mediocre map/graphics that would be more clear and aesthetically pleasing had a first year cartography student (not a GIS student) critiqued it. In school, I was always told that GIS was an off-shoot of cartography. While this pupil may be great at creating base data for maps or generating numbers showing where to build a K-mart, I do not see it ever becoming cartography's teacher and/or replacement. Don't get me wrong. There is a place for GIS. It just will never be as a replacement for cartograhy. Jim Freeman