----------------------------Original message---------------------------- So, mapsters, how about someone doing a paper on "Maps and memory." Respond to email address given below, not to me. Alice Hudson [log in to unmask] ______________________________ Forward Header __________________________________ Subject: CFP: History and Memory Conference Author: Keith Tankard <[log in to unmask]> at Internet Date: 2/25/98 7:25 PM Cross-posted from H-Net Central Last Call for Papers History & Memory, 1998 Graduate Student Conference Department of History, Yale University, April 18, 1998 http://www.yale.edu/memory Graduate students at Yale University announce a one-day, multidisciplinary conference on April 18, 1998. We invite graduate students to submit abstracts of papers that contribute to the growing body of scholarship on History & Memory. Abstracts are due by March 1, 1998. For more submission information, see below. We encourage topics that explore: the invention of tradition, collective memory, historiography and memory, uses of history, politics of memory, commemoration, memorialization, nationalism and memory, monuments and the sites of memory, cultural memory of the professions, literature and cultural memory, art and public memory, modernism and the memory crisis. We are especially pleased to announce that Prof. Michael Kammen (Cornell University) will serve as keynote speaker at the conference. Any person interested in presenting a paper is invited to submit a one-page abstract by March 1, 1998. We will accept abstracts via email ([log in to unmask]) or regular mail at History & Memory, c/o George E.Haddad, MD, Dept. of History of Medicine & Science, L-130 SHM, PO. Box 208015, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 06520. For the latest updates and further details on registration, abstracts, accommodations, etc., please check our website at http://www.yale.edu/memory Contact us by email: [log in to unmask] This conference is supported by the Andrews Society of the Department of History, the Department of History of Medicine & Science, the Trumbull Lectureship Fund, International & Strategic Studies, the McDougal Graduate Student Center and other contributors at Yale University.