----------------------------Original message---------------------------- I have come into possession of a 30 min topo surveyed in 1883, reprinted in 1949. The quad is MARYSVILLE, KANS. Published by the United States Department of the Interior Geological Survey. The map covers an area where I have an interest in historical research. I have a couple of questions for the list regarding this map. 1. Would the map likely have been reprinted exactly as it was originally printed?, or would it likely be edited for the 1949 reprint? 2. The map shows a railroad paralleling the west side of the Big Blue River. No historical source confirms such a railroad, although there is a story that such a railroad was promoted. Knowing that the period of settlement of this land was extensively promoted by land owners, town founders, merchants and railroads, would it be reasonable that the surveyor would map a non existent railroad? 3. To check #2, would the surveyors notes be available in the national archives? -- Glenn Larson <[log in to unmask]>