Hello Maps-l,

We currently have a Ricoh 18 X 24 photocopier in our Map Library.
Unfortunately, no one in our geographic area can service it.  We
need to identify other brands/models which will do large format very good
quality map copies and would like your suggestions.

The Ricoh will accept 18X24", 11x17, and 8.5x11 paper, copies in b&w only,
can enlarge & reduce.  One characteristic that no other large format
copier seems to have is that the copying process is like that for
almost all other regular book copiers -- the map is laid on top of the
unit and a cover pulled down over it (rather than putting the map through
a roller mechanism).  I would like to know if any of you have experienced
any problems with older, fragile maps being damaged in the 'roller'
process. Also, we have a number of encapsulated maps and wonder whether
there are any problems copying these with with a 'roller' mechanism.

Thank you,
Patty Gaspari-Bridges
Map Librarian
Princeton University