----------------------------Original message---------------------------- This is in reference to a recent spate of inquiries regarding the most commonly occuring community name in the US, and if any name occurs in every State. The answer is Midway at 212 ( in 39 States), but with all sorts of provisions. Firstly, there is no official definition for city, town, etc., and our category of populated place INCLUDES in addition to incorporated places (only 18% of communities nationwide), well-known large, unincorporated places (such as Reston, Virginia) as well as neigborhoods and subdivisions. Secondly, it changes because we are still in dynamic compilation, and 2 years ago Fairview, now at 202 ( in 39 States) occurences was number 1. Regarding places that occur in every State, our records indicate that there are NONE. We would like to know also if it is otherwise. In this category the most commonly occuring is Riverside with 117 occurances in 46 States. This name, according to our records, and still subject to our ongoing data compilation, does not exist in Alaska, Hawaii, Louisana, or Oklahoma. If this is not so, we would like to know otherwise. Secondly in this category is Centerville with 108 occurances in 43 States, and apparently not occuring in Oregon, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Wyoming, Alaska, Alabama, and Hawaii. Springfield is most often proclaimed by these sorts of contests as occuring in every State. We have record of only 63 occurances in 34 States. Washington does not make the top 50, Lincoln is number 59. Please let us know if you have further questions. Roger L. Payne Manager , Geographic Names Information System The Nation's Official Geographic Names Repository 703.648.4544 [log in to unmask]