----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Jim (and others): The real issue is that most of the plotters you've been referring to use inkjet technology. Inkjet "ink" is not waterproof for the simple reason that nobody seems to have worked out a way to get the waterproof ones (which have where the pigment component of the "ink" comes in larger particles) through the jets at a reasonable dot intensity because the particles are bigger than most desired dot intensities. The ones that use a wax technology or a thermal transfer technology have a different problem -- the color "cracks" on the folds after a few years. One thing you might want to investigate is Canon's large format bubble jet technology which is used for T-shirt printing. I have shirts that are more than six years old using this technology which do not appear to have faded and, even though the technology involves ironing on a plastic matrix with the color on the back side, the matrix does not appear to have deteriorated in that period of time. I dunno about alltime for library/archive use, though, just a thought. Besides encapsulating the whole sheets, it seems like there's really not much of a choice. However, as I see it the encapsulation means that the maps wind up being stored separately from the "book". Does lamination with fabric hinges make any greater sense? HTH. vh -- \ / Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California 0 Bellnet: 310.206.7588 Oo Email: [log in to unmask] http://www.ioa.ucla.edu/~hetrick Site of the month: http://www.2chicks.org/