Tom Hanley wrote:

> This is a question I hope John Sutherland can help with though others
> may have ideas as well.  I am putting together a series of exercises
> centered on Pine Mountain, GA, that are meant to make students think
> about inter-relationships among geology, topography, agriculture,
> ecology, history and other aspects of social science.  I have been
> able to come up with stuff on the geology and topography, Roosevelt
> at Warm Springs, and depression era small farms.  I would like to
> develop a component related to farming, the timber industry,
> reforestation and Calloway Gardens.  What would be ideal would be a
> set of series of air photos that campared the same area from the
> thirties or forties, the sixties, the seventies and finally the
> present.  The idea would be to have students estimate the acreage
> devoted to various land uses in this area.  Is there someone I could
> call at the Soil Conservation Service, the Army, the State?  Whatever
> air photos Calloway Gardens might have had were burned in a fire last
> year.
>
> Thanks.

> Tom Hanley, Department of Chemistry and Geology, Columbus State U.,
> 4225 University Ave., Columbus, Georgia 31907-5645.
> http://earth.ColState.edu/cos/chem+geo/th_hp.htm
> VOX: 706-568-2074; FAX: 706-569-3133.
> "It takes a small mind to think of only one way to spell a word."
> Attributed to Andrew Jackson.
> "I went to Yale and found all these required courses that I did not
> require."  Edward Albee

Hi:

While at the University of Georgia, Prof. Roy Welch and myself were
involved in estimating the amount of lumber accidentally taken off of
some land in the Pine Mountain area. We found excellent air photo
coverage of the area because of it's adjacency to Warm Springs. Roy new
the head of the National Cartographic Information Center, which was
starting up at the time, and we had them do some research into
photographic coverage of the area. It worked out great and I was able to
fool the opposition into thinking we new how much wood they took. I
haven't been back to UGA since 1977, but Roy is still there and you may
want to contact him through the Geography Dept.

Also, you may want to check into some of the recently released Corona
photography released by the CIA and distributed by the EROS Date Center.

Kurt Dikkers
St. Louis Area, MO