To play the devil's advocate here, isn't the point that, like all
categories, a grouping such as the G.L.s, are creations of our
imagination and the human need to categorise.  To then treat that
category as a 'thing' is to engage in what I believe is known as
'reification'.

In a sense the Great Lakes can be anything we or a politician says they
are or it is, providing that enough people agree with us/him/her.  If
the real object is to fit a state into a govt. program that it would
ordinarily have missed out, why not make L. Champlain a 'guest GL' for
the occasion? There is much legislation that defines its terms in such
fashion (e.g. for 'he' read persons of both sexes, etc.), or on an one
time only basis.

A parallel 'debate'  is going on about the 'planetary' status of Pluto
and whether it should be so designated if several other similarly sized
orbiting bodies in the asteroid belt are left out.

E-mail:    [log in to unmask]