If those of you in the U.S. were watching the TV
news this past weekend, you no doubt heard that the
U.S. is about to inaugurate an additiional Great Lake.
Senator  Leahy of Vermont has attached a rider declaring
Lake Champlain to be one of the Great Lakes to a bill
that the President is supposed  to  sign  today.

The strategy behind this is that Vermont  will now be
eligible for grant money because it is home to a 'Great
Lake'.

Well,  I'm sure Lake Champlain is pretty great, but
(in the view of this old Minnesotan) is isn't one of
the Great Lakes!

(Hey, we've got a nifty  ponding basin out here on the
University farm. Let me call my senator ...)

Sue Haffner
Map Library, CSU Fresno