Location! Location! Location!  Finding Region-Specific Data with
Geographical Information Systems

Thursday, 7 May 1998  8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Starr Auditorium, JFK School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge,
MA.

Locating information about a particular local or geographic region has been
a  mainstay  of  library  reference  work for years. In the past, multiple,
print-only  resources  had  to  be used, such as geographical dictionaries,
maps  (political,  topographic,  geological,  etc.),  statistical reference
sources  (e.g.  census  data),  and topical descriptions (as from books and
journal  articles).   With  the  advent  of  geographic information systems
(GIS),   the   librarian   and   user  now  have  a  powerful,  multimedia,
single-approach resource.

GIS is more than just old resources accessed via a new medium.  GIS systems
allow users to manipulate data in new, dramatic ways which were unavailable
even  a  decade  ago.   For  instance, a GIS user could research a zip code
region  in  an  urban setting, pulling up demographic data on the populace,
political  data  on voting districts and trends of past elections, geologic
information  regarding  soils and bedrock, architectural information on new
construction  and  the best ways to drive from point A to point B, all from
one workstation.  As GIS systems incorporate more data and the software and
hardware  become  more versatile, this new information resource will become
even  more  valuable  to  academic, special, and public libraries and their
users.  Join us as we look at some of these GIS systems in depth.

A partial list of speakers includes:

Arlene   Olivero   and   David  Cobb,  Harvard  University;  Peggy  Harper,
Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI); Patrick McGlamery and John
Gwinnell,  University of Connecticut; Peter Hernon, Simmons College; Joseph
Ferreira, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

                              HOW TO REGISTER

Registration  is  $45.00  for  ASIS  Members;  $55 for non-members; $25 for
students/Retirees/Between  jobs.   Space  is limited. Registrations will be
processed on a first come, first served basis.  A check payable to ?NEASIS?
must accompany the registration form and must be received by Monday, May 4,
1998.    Please  include  a  SASE  if  a  receipt  is  required,  otherwise
registration  confirmation  will  be  by  email  only.  Telephone  or email
registrations  cannot  be  accepted.   For  further  details contact Leslie
Donnell:  [log in to unmask] or 617 496-1773.

Name: _____________________________________________________________

Affiliation (for name badge) ____________________________________________

Address: ____________________________________________________________

Telephone: __________________________________________________________

Email: _____________________________________________________________

Check one
  ____ASIS Member: Remit $45.00
 ____ Non-Member: Remit $55.00
 ____ Student/Retiree/Between jobs: Remit $25.00

Mail the completed registration form with check to:  Leslie Donnell, John
F. Kennedy School of Government Library,  Harvard University, 79 JFK St.,
Cambridge, MA  02138.

8:30 - 9:00       Registration and continental breakfast
9:00 - 9:30       Introduction to GIS, Peter Hernon
9:30 - 10:30     Arlene Olivero & David Cobb, The Massachusetts Electronic
Atlas
10:45 - 11:45   Peggy Harper, ESRI - GIS software demonstration
11:30 - 12:15   Joseph Ferreira, Current GIS projects at M.I.T.
12:15 - 1:30     Lunch (your choice in Harvard Square)
1:30 - 2:30       Patrick McGlamery & John Gwinnell, MAGIC
2:45 - 3:30       Panel, Peter Hernon, Moderator.  Practical Approaches and
Technological Solutions
3:30 - 4:00      Questions & answers

Local  Travel  Directions:    Starr  Auditorium  is  located  in the Belfer
Building  at the JFK School of Government. Belfer is on the corner of Eliot
and  JFK  Sts.  There  is  a  parking  garage on Eliot St., across from the
courtyard entrance to the JFK School.

Red Line - Harvard Station:  Exit station by ?out of Town News? stand. Head
left  down JFK St. towards the Charles River.  The JFK School is located on
the right at the corner of JFK and Eliot Sts.

>From  the  North:   Take  Route  93  South  into Boston.  Take the exit for
Storrow Drive-Cambridge.  Follow Storrow Drive, keeping to the right (along
the  Charles  River),  until the exit marked Harvard Square/Cambridge. Take
this  short  exit  to  the traffic light, go right over the bridge (Charles
River).   Continue  straight  on  JFK St. through the 1st traffic light (at
Memorial  Drive).   Continue  through  2nd  light, take immediate left onto
Eliot  St.  There  is a large parking garage on Eliot St., which is located
across  the  street  from  the  courtyard  entrance  to  the  JFK School of
Government.

>From  the  South:   Take  Route  3  (Southeast  expressway)  north from the
intersection  with  Route 128 (I-95).  In Boston, take the exit for Storrow
Drive  and follow directions from above starting with ?Follow Storrow Drive
...?

>From   the   West:    Take  Route  90  (Mass.  Turnpike)  east.   Take  the
Cambridge/Allston  turnoff,  which is exit #18 ... a left hand exit.  After
the  toll,  follow  the  Cambridge signs until you reach the Charles River.
The  Guest  Quarters Hotel will be on your right.  Take a left at the light
(just  before  going over the river) on to Soldiers Field Rd.  Take a right
at  the  exit  marked ?Harvard Square - Cambridge? and follow it across the
Charles River. Go straight through the first traffic light and you will now
be  on  JFK  St.  At the next light take a left on to Eliot St.  There is a