Fellow catalogers,

Thank you to those of you who expressed an interest in my query of last
month.  After reading DCM again (and again!), I would like to attempt
to offer an answer to my question (found at the end of this message).

First,  one must take into account that DCM 19 is "draft interim
guidelines" thus not the final word on this subject.  However, it is
the most complete document to date to help those of us cataloging or
planning to catalog electronic resources.

Secondly, depending on what we are cataloging (cartographic materials,
moving images, sound recordings, etc.) we will most likely differ in
our definition of reproduction.

Thus, to answer my query, I would say that you could catalog a colored
sheet map and its b&w microfilm and b&w .jpg (scanned from the b&w
microfilm) on one record.  To justify this decision I would cite:

1.  The definition of a reproduction on page 11 of DCM 19
2.  The definition of delineation on page 9 of DCM 19
3.  Bibliographic details criterion (B19.4.5.1.4) seems to allow
for more than one "layer" (delineation) out from the original
4.  Exceptional practice for both electronic and non-electronic
(usually microform) manifestations of the same collection
(B19.4.5.2.2) seems to allow for a microform to be delineated on the
original item's record
5.  The examples of repeated 530 fields (more than one delineation in a
single record) on pages 20 & 38

Please feel free to send me any comments you might have about my
conclusions.

Thank you.
Paula

Paula E. Moehle