Paige et al;

We are using that crosswalk (in LITA's ITAL, June 1995,  vol. 14, num.
2, pp 99-110) and the very helpful web resource UC Santa Barbara has
developed at http://www.alexandria.ucsb.edu/public-documents/metadata/
We are preparing to import OCLC export formatted MARC Map records for
Connecticut by getting the records into a database (we are using Foxpro)
and then crosswalking them over to FGDC metadata.  We've parsed the
export format, now we are testing the MARC Map fields and delimiters.  I
have enough exemplars of map records now, thank you, and it all seems to
be falling into place.  It's the first chance I've had to deal with the
MARC record on the data level.  Later this summer we will get an
extraction from OCLC of the map record holdings at UCWC, extract only
the Connecticut area, crosswalk them and see what we get.  We are doing
this as part of the FGDC funded NSDI.  The logic behind including paper
is that, to date, most digital cartographic data began as paper... it is
all spatial information... and I never like media bias.

I suppose ultimately we will have a coverage of our holdings by bounding
box which will be able to class by subject.  That's kind of cool.

Patrick